The 4th Generation, launched in September 2018, is an improvement over 3rd Generation Matrix as it is significantly stronger, and therefore in most cases does not require reinforcement / cladding. It also has lower prices than the previous generations.
The 3rd Generation was launched in January 2014. Its improvements over the 2nd Generation include:
- Twice the load carrying capacity before bending (6 times up from 1st Generation) with less reinforcement needed
- Lower cost
- Flexible components throughout system (not just basic connectors)
- Modular covering system, shear and pressure relief
- With modular cover unparalleled access and vision of support surface
- Modular cover allows customised shower supports possible for first time
The 2nd Generation was launched in 2002. It was developed to improve upon the original generation and its improvements include:
- Three times load carrying capacity before slip
- Flexible components for in-seat dynamic movement
- "Door" technique for spinal orthotic correction within the seating shell
- Clamp rotation giving enhanced 3D shaping
- Thin metal and carbon fibre reinforcement available
The 1st/Original Generation was launched in 1984, after a 3-year development programme (over 30 years ago) in the early eighties. It featured on Tomorrow's World, a British TV innovations program. It also won a prestigious Design Council award (in the UK) in the mid-eighties.